We are excited to introduce the EMS AIRFLOW® ONE. This is a new, advanced machine that uses Guided Biofilm Therapy, which is the latest technology in preventative dental care.
Airflow teeth cleaning using Guided Biofilm Therapy on the Central Coast.
Guided Biofilm Therapy is a more effective and more comfortable way to remove dental plaque (dental biofilm). It greatly reduces the need to use traditional ultrasonic (electric) or hand (manual) instruments during teeth cleaning treatments.
The AIRFLOW® is a revolutionary product that was developed in Switzerland. It projects a controlled stream of air, warm water (heated to 40 degrees Celsius), and very fine sweet powder onto both the teeth surface and hard-to-reach areas. It will dislodge and remove food particles, plaque, discolouration and stains.
We recommend AIRFLOW® Guided Biofilm Therapy for all patients, however it is especially beneficial for patients who dislike the feeling of having their teeth cleaned, who have sensitive teeth, or who have dental anxiety.
This technology is also the “gold standard”1 in maintenance for patients with dental implants, or patients who are undergoing orthodontic treatment (wearing braces/brackets). This is because the handpiece can more easily get into tight spaces, without needing to come into direct contact with your teeth or gums.
Are you a nervous patient, or do you dislike the feeling of having your teeth cleaned?
This new technology delivers a more effective clean, in less time, and involves less direct contact with dental instruments.
Come in and experience the AIRFLOW® difference:
- More comfortable.
- No drilling noise.
- Reduced or eliminated teeth sensitivity.
- Warm water.
- No pain.
- Less direct contact with dental instruments. The AIRFLOW® ONE handpiece will not come into direct contact with your teeth or gums.
- May soften calculus (tartar), and reduce the amount of time we need to use a manual or ultrasonic scaler.
What is involved in Guided Biofilm Therapy?
Guided Biofilm Therapy involves applying a harmless dye to the teeth to physically stain the bacteria, which will then be effectively removed with the AIRFLOW® ONE product.
The bacteria will be stained in 3 different colours depending on the type of bacteria present.
How does AIRFLOW® technology and Guided Biofilm Therapy differ to the traditional way that we clean teeth?
Traditional teeth cleaning procedures are heavily reliant on using ultrasonic (vibrating), and/or manual (scraping) instruments to remove both plaque (soft) and tartar (hard) deposits from the teeth. Traditional teeth polishing (prophylaxis) requires the use of a slow speed power handpiece with a rubber cup or brush on the end, and gritty abrasive paste.
Disadvantages of the traditional cleaning and prophylaxis technique include:
- Ultrasonic and hand scaling instruments used to remove both plaque (soft) and tartar (hard) deposits.
- More reliance on, and more time spent using ultrasonic and hand scaling instruments throughout the appointment (the vibrating and scraping sensations). Some patients may find these instruments uncomfortable (disliking the sensation and sound).
- Can be challenging to ensure all plaque is removed.
- Ineffective for the more inaccessible areas such as under the gum margins, between teeth, around orthodontic braces/brackets, and around dental implants.
The new AIRFLOW® approach:
Guided Biofilm Therapy, using the AIRFLOW®, instead removes plaque (soft) deposits from teeth first, and polishes the teeth and removes surface stains at the same time. The AIRFLOW® handpiece uses a stream of air and water, which means no instrument will come into direct contact with teeth or gums.
By using the AIRFLOW® product, we no longer need to use ultrasonic or manual instruments to remove plaque (biofilm). We also do not need to “polish” your teeth with gritty paste.
Guided Biofilm Therapy also uses a harmless, coloured dye which physically stains bacteria to show where plaque (dental biofilm) is present in your mouth. This not only provides patient education, but a clear guide for your dental hygienist to ensure all biofilm is effectively removed.
Whilst ultrasonic and/or manual instruments are still required to remove tartar (hard) deposits from the teeth at the end of the procedure, they are used for a much shorter time, and they may not need to be used on every tooth.
Advantages of the AIRFLOW® system:
- More effective at removing plaque (dental biofilm) than traditional cleaning and prophylaxis methods.
- More effective at removing surface stains (such as tea, coffee, red wine and tobacco) than traditional cleaning prophylaxis methods.
- More comfortable for patients who suffer from sensitive teeth, as the water is heated to 40 degrees Celsius.
- Eliminates the need for prophylaxis with a handpiece, rubber cup/brush and gritty paste.
- Greatly reduces the need to use traditional ultrasonic (electric) or hand (manual) instruments during teeth cleaning.
- More comfortable for patients.
Want to find out more?
For more information on our AIRFLOW® product and Guided Biofilm Therapy, including the Guided Biofilm Therapy procedure, please click here.
- Swiss Dental Academy The Future of Modern Prophylaxis (https://int.sda-swissdentalacademy.com/about-us/guided-biofilm-therapy.html).