We are excited to introduce the EMS AIRFLOW® ONE for Guided Biofilm Therapy.
This is the latest product and technology in preventative dental care.
Guided Biofilm Therapy is a more effective and more comfortable way to remove dental plaque (dental biofilm) by using AIRFLOW® technology.
AIRFLOW® is a revolutionary, non-contact product that was developed in Switzerland. It projects a controlled stream of air, warm water (heated to 40 degrees Celsius), and very fine sweet powder onto the teeth and hard-to-reach areas. It will dislodge and remove food particles, plaque, discolouration and stains.
We recommend AIRFLOW® Guided Biofilm Therapy for all patients, however it is especially beneficial for patients who hate the feeling of having their teeth cleaned, who have sensitive teeth, or who have dental anxiety.
How does AIRFLOW® technology and Guided Biofilm Therapy differ to the traditional way that we clean teeth?
The traditional method of plaque (dental biofilm) and surface stain removal is called prophylaxis. The prophylaxis procedure involves the use of a slow speed power handpiece with a rubber cup or brush on the end, and gritty abrasive paste. You may have also heard this referred to as “polishing” the teeth.
Disadvantages of the traditional prophylaxis technique include:
- Some patients may find it uncomfortable (disliking the sensation and sound).
- Can be challenging to ensure all plaque is removed.
- Ineffective for the more inaccessible areas such as under the gum margins, or between teeth.
At VC Dental we utilise the technique of Guided Biofilm Therapy, which is “the new approach in professional prophylaxis for biofilm management1”.
What is involved in Guided Biofilm Therapy?
Guided Biofilm Therapy involves applying a harmless dye to the teeth to physically stain the bacteria, which will then be effectively removed with the AIRFLOW® ONE product.
The bacteria will be stained in 3 different colours depending on the type of bacteria present.
Advantages of the AIRFLOW® system:
- More effective at removing plaque (dental biofilm) than traditional prophylaxis methods.
- More effective at removing surface stains (such as tea, coffee, red wine and tobacco) than traditional prophylaxis methods.
- Proven to be more comfortable for patients who suffer from sensitive teeth, as the water is heated to 40 degrees Celsius.
- Eliminates the need for prophylaxis with a handpiece, rubber cup/brush and gritty paste.
- Minimises the amount of time in which manual or power instruments (hand or ultrasonic scalers) are needed to remove calculus.
- More comfortable for patients.
- Less direct contact with dental instruments. Unlike the traditional prophylaxis method, the AIRFLOW® ONE instrument will not come into direct contact with the teeth.
Want to find out more?
For more information on our AIRFLOW® product and Guided Biofilm Therapy, including the Guided Biofilm Therapy procedure, please click here.
- EMS Dental (https://www.ems-dental.com/en/guided-biofilm-therapy).